Tuesday, May 23, 2006

565 arrested in fraud schemes

I saw that headline on CNN and MSNBC today: 565 people were arrested in fraud schemes in five countries, the U.S., Canada, Costa Rica, the Netherlands, and Spain. The MSNBC article is here. And here is a Department of Justice fact sheet summarizing the crimes. Some of the crimes listed are eerily familiar.

Although this investigation is more recent than the one that included my mother's misfortunes, my thoughts went to all those names on all those little scraps of paper. They weren't real names, of course, but they were real to her. Did they arrest John Mason, Steve Mercer, Claude Azzario, Lewis Marley, Victor Torres? What about John Henry, Harry Diamond? What about all those customs agents and Lloyd's of London representatives demanding fees to deliver her lottery winnings?

I had to disconnect Mother's land line and change her cell phone number twice to get rid of Steve Mercer. Otherwise, he would still be calling, as would they all.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Grrrr, I hope some of "your" guys were in the dragnet. I'm so disgusted by these guys and can only guess at the hundreds of hours you and your sister have put in to untangle your Mother. I really am dismayed by how elders are being treated in today's society. Best wishes to all your family!