Tuesday, March 28, 2006

How to find a lawyer in two hours

You might be wondering how I found a lawyer so fast that I was in and out of court within a few hours of initiating my search. Well, the morning of January 16, my law student daughter called her friend Amelia who was already a full-fledged lawyer, specializing in guess what -- guardianships, trusts, and estates. Although Amelia practiced in another state, she started making phone calls to Little Rock and within an hour of contacting her, we had a recommendation -- George. Concurrent with that, my brother-in-law made some contacts too. The first lawyer he referred me to said I had no chance of winning in court, so I scratched him off the list. The second lawyer he spoke with, Susan from a fancy Little Rock law firm, thought there was a slim chance, but while they talked, I set up an appointment in Little Rock with George at noon that day. You know the rest. We later got a $250 bill from the fancy Little Rock law firm for that 20 minute conversation with Susan.

Thank goodness for Amelia. I was still in denial about the extent of my sweet, elderly mother's vulnerability to swindlers, scams, and obsessive spending. Amelia said firmly, "get the credit cards"! I did as told, and just in the nick of time too. It was to be a year before I succeeded in cancelling all of them and year and a half before I could pay off the debt.

No comments: